Teaching Assistant (One to One Support)
|JOB TITLE:||Teaching Assistant. (One to One Support)|
|RESPONSIBLE TO:||School Principal / Head of Learning Support|
|RECEIVES INSTRUCTIONS FROM:||Head of Learning Support/Class Teacher|
|PURPOSE OF JOB:||To work with our pupils with Special Educational Needs. To provide support to enable them to access the curriculum and to support their social, emotional and communication needs.|
|TERM OF CONTRACT:||Permanent|
Ramillies Hall Nursery is a small independent Nursery in Cheadle Hulme. Our staff are expected to provide a stimulating, exciting, caring and secure environment for children aged 6 months to 5 years.
- To assist pupil, in between lessons, breaks and meal times.
- To work in the classroom, under the direction of the subject teachers, to enable the children to access the curriculum.
- To be able to differentiate the learning resources in order to meet the learning objectives as set out by subject teachers.
- To support the pupil during break and lunch times and to encourage them to engage with their peer group.
- With regard to the pastoral care of the pupils, to act as a conduit for discussing any difficulties and anxieties with their form or subject teachers.
- To develop appropriate resources to help clarify and explain instructions to the children using multi-sensory (visual, auditory and kinaesthetic) methods to aid understanding.
- To liaise with the classroom teacher on how to differentiate the curriculum to meet the specific learning needs of the children.
- To motivate and encourage the children to engage with lessons and to keep them on task.
- Assisting in areas of specific weakness, such as phonics, literacy, numeracy or writing skills where appropriate.
- To encourage the children to organise their work and to use resources such as a visual timetable, emotional thermometer and thumbs up and down technique to structure and gauge the pupils responses to their work where appropriate.
- To assist in the management of the pupils’ social interactions and behaviour, as advised by the class teacher or Head of Learning Support, particularly during break and lunch times.
- To use methods of promoting / reinforcing the pupil’s self esteem and to monitor and provide regular feedback on their progress to the class teacher and Head of Learning Support.
- To carry out any specific duties as outlined in the pupils’ Individual Educational Plans [IEP] and to contribute to Annual Review meetings, as appropriate.
- To participate in relevant internal and external professional development. To be willing to develop core skills to be used with the children where appropriate.
- To be aware of and follow school policies and procedures. To be committed to the school ethos of enabling each children to realise their full potential within a nurturing and supportive school environment.
- To maintain confidentiality about home - school, pupil - teacher and all other school work matters.
- To complete any other task as directed by the Head of Learning Support which is appropriate to the duties and responsibilities
• Maths & English GCSE at Grade C or above or equivalent qualification (E)
• Level 3 CACHE TA Qualification (D)
• Proven successful experience of working with children in an educational setting (E)
• Experience of working with children with SEN, specifically children on the Autistic spectrum and practical experience of implementing and reviewing appropriate strategies (E)
Skills and abilities
• Ability to work as part of a team (E)
• Have a positive can do attitude to challenging tasks (E)
• Able to communicate effectively with a range of people (E)
• Excellent listening skills (E)
• Well organised and practical (E)
• Adaptable and flexible (E)
• Calm under pressure (E)
• Have a caring and positive nature (E)
• Prompt and reliable (E)
• Prepared to undergo training appropriate to the post (E)
• Work in line with the school’s behaviour policy (E)
• Work within the guidelines of the School’s Safeguarding Children Policy(E)